Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I put the it in gear and it will not move! 94 Jeep Grand…

Customer Question
I put the it...

I put the it in gear and it will not move!

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

94 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 188000 miles on it when i put it in reverse it makes a loud humming noise

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

I want to fix it myself. I haven't tried anything yet I needs place to start

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Transmissions
Is anyone there
9/12/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Master Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Master Mechanic

Good morning,

First, let's make sure the transmission fluid level looks ok. If the transmission is low on fluid it can keep it from going into gear. The transmission on this model is checked with the engine running in neutral (set the parking brake).

The dipstick should be on the passenger side of the engine compartment in the rear.

Are you able to check the fluid level?