Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1994 2500 diesel 46rh changed bad downshift cable. shifts…

Customer Question
1994 2500 diesel 46rh...

1994 2500 diesel 46rh changed bad downshift cable. shifts 1-3 not 4th no odrive light. had intermittent shift down before cable change had o-drive function before cable change.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The dash has a select overdrive light. when button pushed on dash the light turns on till 45mph and right load on the trans then light turns off and goes to Overdrive.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I changed the cable and adjusted as per spec just 1/16 in more travel in the cable than relaxed position on throttle. tried a lot of different adjustments on the cable to no positive result

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Need to know wireing diagram for Overdrive switch to trans

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Transmissions
9/11/2017
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are several things that could be preventing it from shifting into fourth gear and some testing may be required to determine exactly what is going on. The problem could be internal in the trans or an external electrical problem.

Can you go back and recheck the solenoid connector on the trans to make sure it's plugged in and there is no wiring damage? It's directly behind where the shift linkage enters the case and may have been disturbed when replacing the throttle valve cable.

I asked for spacific information. What is the wire diagram. I obviously checked the cable and the plugin. the shift to 4th is downshifting to next lower gear and in and out of o.d. after driving a while. I see you have charged me even though I didn't view my email back from you. now I expect you to come through with more than a just look over the wiring again. thank you. steve

Have you checked for fault codes?