Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Clutch failed, trans will not separate from engine (no bolts

left holding the two together)...
Clutch failed, trans will not separate from engine (no bolts left holding the two together). I followed Haynes manual. No space even to use a pry bar between the two. Have sprayed penetrating oil, hit trans many times with hammer, moves trans up then down - tried shaking it from left to right, won't budge.
I need to remove the trans to replace the clutch items. Please solve.
9/10/2017
kalamykid
kalamykid, shop owner/tech

Did the transmission move any at all away from the engine?

Not at all.

Lets go over this step by step. Did you remove the starter from the car?

Did you remove the lower dust cover on the bottom of the transmission so you can see the flywheel?

I removed the dust cover.

Did you remove the rear engine mount, as well as the mount bracket?

Rear engine mount bracket bolts were removed.
Trans mount was removed, so you know.

There are two brackets for the rear engine mount. One has a nut and a blot that hold it in, the other has three bolts that hold the mount bracket to the transmission. Did you remove both brackets?

Not the rear mount, the Haynes manual stated only the bracket bolts. The mount has moved though after my moving of the trans around.
I only noticed one bracket and did remove the three bolts.

The you have missed the smaller bracket, that has a bolt and nut that hold the trans to the engine. It is behind the main bracket and comes over the top of the transmissions differential.

you think that is it?

If you look through the passenger side wheel well there is a bolt at about 11 oclock just above the hole for the axle.

The nut that holds the bracket is on the main bracket itself, on the back side close to the fire wall.

Isn't that the bolt that is removed to add trans fluid?
Okay, I'll have to look close to the firewall.

No. It is above the fill plug. Also there are two bolts that go through the engine into the transmission just below the rear engine mount.

Yeah I took those two bolts out, along with the other three in that area.

Check and see if you removed the small bracket that comes off of the main bracket then. Also did you remove the three bolts that or on the transmission side? Two at the top of the trans, and one on the lower front just below the slave cylinder?

I'll check out that second bracket bolt.

You have to pull the nut off as well. The bracket will not move out of the way if it is still nutted to the main bracket.

Anything else?

Go check those, and let me know what you find. If it still will not come out, let me know.

Thanks much.

You are welcome.

I looked and there is no second bracket there. The Haynes manual says it is only on some cars - the book calls it a "rear engine mount stay".

And you are sure that you took out the three bell bolts, two at the top of the transmission, and one just below the slave cylinder?

They are definitely removed.

If you are sure that they are all out, then try to lightly use a pry bar at the bottom of the transmission and go under the flywheel and try to pry the transmission loose. I have seen the line up dowel pins freeze up and hold the transmission tight. Do not go to town prying, just a light amount of pressure and see if the trans will move at all.

I'll do it Monday, I'll tell you what happens. Thanks.

You are very welcome. It is possible that the pilot bearing is frozen up on the input shaft. If you put the slave cylinder back on the transmission, You can push the clutch pedal and see if the hydrolic system will push the transmission off for you, but make sure to support the transmission so it can not fall.

I think I may try this too Monday depending on the time I have. I would have to: ***** ***** on, connect clutch lines, et cetera (anything necessary to get the clutch pedal to make the bearing function). The problem is I cannot bleed the system since the pedal almost always goes flat to the floor, though the times it works may be enough to have an effect on the bearing. I will put the three housing bolts back on but only partially - since if the trans is pushed during the attempted bleeding it won't hit the floor, and I'll know it moved because there is a gap between it and the engine. The real problem with the clutch may be that the release bearing is worn out, just a note. After Monday I can't touch the car until Saturday, hopefully I can solve this Monday. Thanks.

Sounds like a plan.

I'll have to work on it Saturday, no time on Monday.
I appreciate your help and when I get the trans separated I will definitely send you payment. Thanks.

That is ok. I would rather you wait till the trans is out. Chat with Sat.

Okay, thanks.

You are welcome.

kalamykid
kalamykid, shop owner/tech
I got it separated. I found a sixth large bolt close to the five near the firewall, and removed it. The bolt was kinda hidden from easy view. After that I again rocked the trans up and down some using a floor jack. This helped make a space between the trans and the engine. After removing the small rubber piece so I could see the teeth of the flywheel from above, I took a large screwdriver and put the end against the trans and pried between the engine and trans. I also hit the screwdriver with a hammer to try to push the trans further away from the engine. Eventually I was able to use a floor jack to pull the trans from the engine.
Thanks much for your suggestions.
kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, shop owner/tech