ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech
Experience:  Over 25yrs experience as Shop manager and tech
3195632

Have a 2005 Dodge durango with the 4.7 v8 and I was driving

Customer Question

Have a 2005 Dodge durango with the 4.7 v8 and I was driving today and it just stopped shifting
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: I assume the tranny is the original and no.. no leaking
JA: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: A week or two ago I replaced the transmission solenoid pack because it wasnt shifting out 2nd and it ran like a new truck afterwards
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 month ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, when you say it stopped shifting, do you mean it is stucking 1st or 2nd gear or that it wont move?

Is the check engine light on?

Please remember that I am not there and therefore may need to ask for more information at times

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
To Clarify it happened while I was driving. It was driving fine then Bam just acted like it was in neutral. So I pulled it over and shut it off and then it wont moved it just sits there and revs when you try to move it in all gears. The check engine light is on, I'm going to read the codes on it this evening when I get home from work, but the check engine has always been on on this durango because it has a bad throttle positioning sensor I've been procrastinating on.
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, when you get the codes read, let me know if there are any transmission codes.

One possibility is if the filter dropped into the pan and not getting fluid flow. But, before dropping the pan, I would like to know the codes

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
P0700, P0841
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 month ago.

HI,

P0841-LR PRESSURE SWITCH RATIONALITY

- LOW FLUID LEVEL
- LOW LINE PRESSURE
- REVERSE CARRIER SNAP RING DISLODGED
- CRACKED OR MISINSTALLED PRIMARY OIL FILTER OR FILTER SEAL
- STICKING MAIN REGULATOR VALVE IN PUMP VALVE BODY
- NO. 1 CHECK BALL CUT OR DAMAGED
- WIRING AND CONNECTORS
- (T50) LR PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT OPEN
- (T50) LR PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
- (T50) LR PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE
- TRANSMISSION SOLENOID/TRS ASSEMBLY
- POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

Ok, I have attached the electrical testing procedures. You will need to do them and repair as needed. If testing shows ok, then you are looking at one of the internal causes

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The Durango is fixed now. It turned out to be a switch that lets the car know the brake is depressed. Because it didnt know it was in park.. it wouldnt shift. I think the code was old before I changed the solenoids, because they were bad but I changed those a week or two ago and the car had been running fine.
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, glad you got it