xsvectOR
xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase
6149662

Jon, I have a 98 Durango and something is wrong with my

Customer Question

Hello Jon, I have a 98 Durango and something is wrong with my transmission. When cold, I turn it on and I need to drive it for half a mile to make it shift to 2nd gear. Once it gets warmed up it shifts ok. The speedometer is not working, they told me this could cause this malfunction
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 1 month ago.

is the engine light on? have you scanned for current or pending codes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the engine light is on. I can't scan it because it won't read it, there is something wrong with the connector also.
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 1 month ago.

well that is the first step..the data link will need to be diagnosed to see what codes are stored...It may be as simple as a input or outout speed sensor...but correcting the data link fault is important so it can be scanned so that eliminates guessing