Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

I have a 1998 dodge ram 3500 the 5 speed transmission is

Customer Question

I have a 1998 dodge ram 3500 the 5 speed transmission is grinding and hard to shift in his third gear. I am towing a 34' livestock trailer and have to shift on the hills in the mountain I need a transmission where I can depend on I can't have any trouble whet livestock in the trailer. Some one tolt me I need a transmission where the gears are make out hardener steel.
Or do I have to rebuilt this one or by a other transmission This one has low mils on. The clutch is new bad did not help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Is it hard to get into 3rd from 2nd or from 4th or both?

Does it grind when trying to go into 3rd or does it feel like the shifter is blocked off from this gear?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it gifs me only a problem to co in 3th gear it grind only if I co very slow bad then by making a sharp turn

Once in 3rd does the shifter seem sloppy or flopping around more so than while in other gears?

So far the most likely issue based on your description is the synchronizer for 3rd gear is damaged and causing this issue. If there are no concerns getting into 4th then the shift fork should not be to blame.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris