6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master Technician
63005990

I'm trying to determine if I get a transmission from what

I'm trying to determine if I get a transmission from what say a 15 or 16 model year 2500 to 3500 will I be able to get it to work? If there somewhere that I can go to get this question answered I'd appreciate it so far no one would believe he'll give me a definitive answer on how to go about this. I've been around vehicles all my wife and I understand how things work

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you need any additional information for me? If you do please ask.

I can't give you a definite answer that far out in the years from what you have. Most likely. no and the reason would be that the harnesses and components have changed a lot.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

I just checked Alldata and there are 5 different transmissions available for that year and motor size, so surely one of those can be used other than what you have now, I'm just not sure how new of a one you can get.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please refer me to another expert if you cannot answer my question.

Okay, I'll opt out then.

new expert here

did you still need help ?

in the glove box there should be a white option label with codes can you find it and tell me the M codes ?

like this here ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK! I can't look for the M code right now. Would it be on the tag visible on the transmission? If it is I'll have to crawl under the truck and get it. Do you think you will be able to check interchangeability once you get that number?

it is usually a big white tag like i showed you in the bottom of the glove box

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Gary, since the code is visible from the glove box I will go get it now and get back to you as soon as I get it.

ok ill be here we will bet this figured out

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The only thing I could find on my truck was the door sticker that had the information about Tires and capacities and the Vin number 3D7MX39A68G232254
Does that help?

in the glove box or look in the center console or the door jams can you find the option label like the picture i sent ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just double checked everywhere in that label is nowhere to be found obviously got forgotten on my truck. Any other suggestions?

so what exactly do you need to know ?

what size transmission is in this ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The basic question is can I put a later model 68 RFE six speed automatic in my 2008 Dodge 3500? I have been told that the later model transmissions were improved considerably over there earlier ones. One transmission Tech advised me to get a Low mileage transmission from a later model truck, The later the better. The question came up about whether or not the ECM could be flashed for a later transmission for instance one out of a 16 or 17 model year. I have located a few late model units in salvage yards with the way under 50,000 miles on them. I'm pretty positive that the transmission will both up without a hitch but where do I go to get the ECM flashed? I called my local dealer in the service guy that answered the phone and informed me that that would be a modification! They don't work on modified vehicles. Should I check with another dealer?

Hello, different expert here. My name is James.

The short answer is no. While the transmission may physically bolt to the engine, the rest of the vehicle has changed dramatically over the last 8 years. The ECM is different, the harnesses, which electrical terminals go into which pins in each connector, frame, vehicle options, not only that but the inputs and outputs the ECM needs to see are different due to hundreds of updates in the supplemental restraint system, anti lock, drive axle(s), and so on.

6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience: Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master Technician
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, I get the picture. Now, what am I supposed to do at this point?
1, It took 3 experts to On my way! Up with an answer that I can accept.
2, What does Just Ask want me to do atthis point?
3, Am I expected to pay all 3 experts!
# 1 & 2 were not able to provide me with a good answer.
I am ok with the answer because it was definitive and made sense.
Just indicate what's xpected of me at this point.
You got it handled. I apologize for the confusion earlier. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
James.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you!