Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 3500 single rear wheel, automatic,

I have a 2008 Dodge...
I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 3500 single rear wheel, automatic, 4X4, mega cab. The truck has approximately 200,000 miles. I believe I need to replace the transmission. I've been told by many that the six speed transmissions used in the first 6.7 diesel trucks we're not very good. However it appears that they've improved them in later years. No my question is will I be able to swap in a liter year transmission into my truck? Would there be any issues regarding the control computer?
8/20/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

You can update to a newer transmission, but only the dealer can tell you what transmissions will work. The TCM or transmission control module will need to be re-flashed with the software for the transmission that is going in the truck too. Yo won't need a new TCM, just a re-flash.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and instructor
By problem is that my local dealer informed me that if I put a transmission in from a different model year it would be considered a modification and they don't work on modified vehicles. Did I just get the wrong guy at the dealership? I mean It seems to me that if the transmission has not been changed mechanically it should work and if it's a Dodge transmission they should be able to reflash the computer. What do you think?

I think that guy was wrong, you're not putting a Ford transmission in there.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and instructor