Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

I'm looking for someone to help me with questions I have

Customer Question
I'm looking for someone to...
I'm looking for someone to help me with questions I have reassembling my 84 jeep t5 transmission. Like which way does this thrust washer face, do I need a gasket here etc ?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/14/2017
Transmission Mechanic: kalamykid, shop owner/tech replied 4 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, shop owner/tech

Can you send me a pic of the parts you need to put back in?

Yeah definately. Ill shoot them over when I get off work today

Thank you. Chat with you latter on today.

Okay. This is one thing I have a question about. This thrust washer goes between a bearing cone and a gear. Of course it's possible to install two different ways. Here's a picture of the gear it goes between . I don't know if it's significant or not but the gear has two notches - one notch slants on way the other slants the other way. You can see the thrust washer has like spiral shape where it's o.d. is wider. The thrust washer has notch that goes over a roll pin so when assembled it turns with the shaft. But like I said it's possible to install it on either face. I don't know if the spiral shape is to sling oil or what.

Can you include a pic of the thrust washer please?

There you go. Both sides. Is there like some rule of thumb ?

If you look on the gear you will see that the washer will only fit on it one way and line up with the raised "bump" on the outer edge of the washer.

I think the picture is misleading not sure if this is what you mean but the thrust surface of the gear is flat. The notche's in the gear a flat even . I also want to mention. The thrust washer is square on both face edges. I know some washers have a round edge and a square edge . This one is square on both sides

Run your finger around the out side edge of the washer. You will fell a bump. if you look in the pics you posted of the washer in your hand, you can see that on the outer edge of the washer going around the washer, there is a spot where there is a "hill". if you also look at the top of the gear where the washer fit, there is a "hill" there as well that matches the washer.

Look back at the first pic you posted of the washer, the key way in the center of the washer is at 12 oclock, the "hill is at three oclock. in the pic you just posted, the hill is at 12 oclock.

Bare with me but there are 2 notches in the gear. One slants one way and the other notch slants the other way.

The notches do not matter, they are there for oil to get into the bearing between the gear and shaft. Do you see what I am saying about the washer?

You can install the gear with its notches in any position
the notch at 12 and bump at 3 or it can be the bump at 12 and notch at 3
The width of the thrust surface of the gear is the same all along the thrust surface
I did notice there is scorng on one side of the thrust washer ( the other side is smooth) and the thrust surface of the gear has scoring too

The scoring is normal wear and tear. You are looking to deep and not seeing the simple things. put the washer back in your hand and send me a pic, leave the washer in your hand till I have a chance to see the pic and then I can guide you so you can see what I am saying.

That is perfect. Now look at the washer. Most washers are perfectly round. If you look at the washer where your index finger and middle finger come together you will see the washer is not perfectly round, there is a bump right there at the webbing of your hand. Do you see what I am saying?

I see it

Now look straight down at the gear the washer sits on and there is a matching bump that will line up perfectly with the washer. You will have to flip the washer over to the other side and the washer will fit on the gear and the bumps will line up.

Do you have paint so you can draw me an arrow poinoting to the bump on the gear ?
Hey Kalamy are you sure you're not looking at the picture of the gear with thrust washer on ? Bare with me

I believe that you are correct, you do have the washer sitting in the gear in the pic you sent. This is an older transmission with a new set of thrust washers in it. For your transmission the washer does not matter what side is up and what side is down. I would put the washer back in with the worn section facing the worn section on the gear so it is back in the same way it came out.

The new style gear has this washer locked to the gear by the bump and key way hole, and your transmission has the washer just free float.

That's what I want to do. Put it back the b way it came. Is the bump there to sling oil ?

Yes and no. with it being a free floating washer, it will not be able to sling much oil.

Did you know it spins with shaft ? The inner notch on the washer straddles a roll pin that sticks out of the shaft and so when the main shady turns the washer turns.
That's what that notch is for

Yes the notch is for the later design that had a key way that the washer would be held in place so it would spin with the shaft, not the gears.

The next question. Is: stupid me forgot to scribe matching marks on my 1-2 and 3-4 synchro hub and sleeve , like the manual says to do. I'm guessing this so you can put parts that have worn together back. Is this gonna cause a problem putting this back together on oriented the same
Not oriented the same

If you can send me a pic of both sides of the hub, I can tell you what side goes where.

No not that. I mean I don't know how they were lined up with plates . They can be lined up any many positions on the external spline things of the hubs

OK so you are talking about the slide that fits over the hub. Stand the hub up and send me a pic so I can see the two sides and the grove the fork sits in and I can tell you what way it goes.

I'm concerned about clocking

I can tell you how it is clocked as well, bu I need to see the teeth as well as the orientation of the grove for the fork.

Okay cool. Im in bed now. I ll text you tomorrow. Thanks man !

You are very welcome. chat with you tomorrow.

Here are some pictures of the synchro hubs and sleeves. As you can see it can be clocked all possible ways. But I can see wear on 3 spots if 1 of the hubs so I'm sure that's the groove the plate went in. Just don't know if it matters if I clock it in a different position than it came out in

Can you stand the hub up so I can see into the center please? With it laying flat in your hand I can not see the locations of the off set teeth.

pictures here
20170815_155939.jpg2017081...jpg20170815_155853.jpg2017081...jpg20170815_155823.jpg2017081...jpg20170815_155718.jpg2017081...jpg
The sleeve you mean ?

The slide, the part that fits over the hubs with the clutch dogs, and the shift fork will fit into the grove in the outter center.

My question is- they have been mated together 1 way while the transmission was in service . I forgot to scribe a matching mark. So when I put them back together sleeve splines are probably not gonna be in the hub splines or grooves as they were originally. My question. Is , will it cause excess or abnormal wear ?

You keep sending me way to many pics of the same thing and not what I ask for. This only confuses both of us. I have tried to give you very specific details of what pics I need, and you seem to always send something totally the opposite of what I am asking for. I know you are frustrated, and may not always understand what I am asking for. You need to slow down just a little bit and let me guide you through this. It really is not a difficult transmission to put back together. It would probably be easier if you just layed all the parts out in the order that you think they should go in as well as the direction you think they go, and take one pic of all of them. If I need a specific pic I will ask for it.

kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, shop owner/tech