Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

I have 2002 duramax /allison trans. trouble code PO700

Customer Question

i have 2002 duramax /allison trans. trouble code PO700 appears(trans control system. can you explain
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: PO700 is the code. my trans would not shift out of second gear I stopped for a half hour and it started workinf again, it was also a quart low. yes i reset it and have drive several hundred miles with out ant trouble
JA: What is the model of your '02 transmissions?
Customer: allison 2002 gmc
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i am not fixing it my self, i will take to a dealer. all ive done is ad oil
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that it has worked fine for 200 miles
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The P0700 code is a general code that a transmission fault has been detected.This indicates that the transmission computer has set a fault code as well.The transmission computer fault code is the code you need to have read out.This has to be done with a fully compatible scan tool that can plug in and can read all computers in your vehicle.Once the transmission code is read out ( it will usually be a code anywhere from P0701 to P0800) then that code is then diagnosed to locate the fault here.If you can get the transmission computer read out and let me know here on this post what code is set this will help.In some cases a local parts store will read it free of charge for you.Just ask to have the transmission fault codes checked.

This can be a fault with the shift solenoid for 2-3 gear.This can fail needing replaced.But having the codes checked will help here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete