Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2007 freestyle fwd. Cft30 trans. Car shudders when under…

Customer Question
2007 freestyle fwd. Cft30...

2007 freestyle fwd. Cft30 trans. Car shudders when under acceleration. Hear ticking noise at a red light. 125k miles on trans

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Coming from transmission. Been happening for a few weeks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Freestyle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Getting ready to pull it this week. Just wondering what parts are likely the cause. No lights, no limp mode. Still drives... for now

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Think that is all

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
8/6/2017
Transmission Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:
Check fluid level and color. Make appropriate repairs.
Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if
applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and
this is the easiest way to check them.
Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside
pan. Check valve body and clutches visually.
Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just
were a bit low on fluid.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Do you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.