sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

2006 Jeep Commander. 140K miles. Wifes car, usually garaged

Customer Question

2006 Jeep Commander. 140K miles. Wifes car, usually garaged and only driven a few times per month. Driving down the highway and accelerating up to 60mph and jeep shifted into neutral by itself. I slowed and shifted into neutral then back into drive and it did it a couple more times. I turned around and made it home and it did not do it again. There is a plug were the transmission dipstick goes so I cannot check fluid level.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The trans may be disengaging due to an internal failure such as clutch damage or a restricted filter, it could be a sticking valve in the valve body, or it could definitely be low fluid level.

Have you checked for leaks?
Have you checked for fault codes in the transmission control module?