Brad
Brad, Dealer Technician
Experience:  ASE Master,(L-1) Certified, Transmission Specialist
10114124

1998 dodge ram 3500 series van. Can't go over 15 mph, just

Customer Question

1998 dodge ram 3500 series van. Can't go over 15 mph
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just suddenly happened checked fluid and looked for vacuum line break
JA: Just to clarify, which fluid are you talking about? And what color and consistency is it?
Customer: It is what the manuel calls for. brownish color
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: aprox mileage on van is around 170000k
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Brad replied 2 months ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Are you saying that the transmission feels like it's stuck in 1st gear? If you manual shift to second will it shift or are you dealing with a engine issue not rev-ing?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
feels like in won't shift, stays in low gear manual shifting won't improve it.
Expert:  Brad replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the reply!!

The 1998 Dodges came with the 46RE transmissions and if it won't shift then there is very good chance there is a code in the engine computer which is the PCM. Is there any way to can connect a code reader and tell me what codes are setting? If you can then I can tell you exactly what is going on and how to fix it, but if you can't then the best thing that I can tell you is that it's most likely a bad governor pressure sensor and solenoid because I have replaced many of them for this exact issue. To replace them you will need to drop the pan and remove them from the underside of the valvebody. No special tools needed only a T25 torx and a 7/16 socket..

But the proper way to diagnose this would be to see what codes are setting, so if you can get the codes post them here and if not then I would try the governor pressure sensor and governor pressure solenoid.. I have attached a picture to show you the location of the sensors and I would also replace the filter while the pan is off and make sure to only use ATF+4 fluid..

If your not familiar with how JustAnswer works, You ask a question, I try and give you the best answer I can and then you leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping.. I strive for excellent ratings and greatly appreciate all bonuses.. You can reply back to me as many times as needed until your issue is resolved, even after the rating..

Feel free to request me in the future for all your Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep needs..

Take care,

Brad

Expert:  Brad replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help?