Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I think the transmission has started knocking, I am not

Customer Question
I think the transmission...

I think the transmission has started knocking

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

I am not sure. The car runs good. But, after i take my foot off the gas pedal, if i press it again, i feel a knock that seems to be coming fronm the "middle" of the car

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lexus?

1999 rx300

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. i have tried anything at all yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I meant i have not tried anything.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Transmissions
8/3/2017
Transmission Mechanic: kalamykid, shop owner/tech replied 11 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, shop owner/tech

Do you hear this noise just once or is it a repeating noise?

I will also need to know if your car is an awd or just front wheel drive please?

I hear it just once. The vehicle is awd.

You may have a broken transmission mount or engine mount. Do you know how to test them?

No, I don't. What must be done? And, how much would it be expected to cost?

Raise the hood so you can see the engine. Start the engine and put the transmission in drive. Set the parking brake and hold your left foot hard on the brake pedal so the car does not move. With your right foot slow add power to the engine and watch the engine and see if it lifts up on one side. It should move but only a little. If the engine does move a lot, then you have a broken engine mount. If the engine does not move, let off of the gas pedal real fast and see if you hear a clunk or the engine tilts front to back. If you hear a clunk, then one of the engine mounts are broken. Do the same test in revers and let me know what happens.