Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2001 Chevy 1500 with a 4.3. Not sure what tranny…

Customer Question
I have a 2001 Chevy...
I have a 2001 Chevy 1500 with a 4.3. Not sure what tranny came with this truck, but it's an automatic. The tranny started acting up. It will not take off in drive or 3rd gear, but does fine in 1st, 2nd and reverse. Once I get the speed up to where it should shift into a higher gear, I place the shifter into 3rd and drive and it will shift into the higher gears as it should. But when I come to a stop, I have to start out in the lower gears on the gear shift selector again for it to move. The fluid level is good and the fluid is a bit on the dirty side, but not abnormal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
8/2/2017
Transmission Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you Ron.

Here’s the sequence of events I follow: Ignore what you have already done too.
Check fluid level and color. Make appropriate repairs.
Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if
applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and
this is the easiest way to check them.
Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside
pan. Check valve body and clutches visually.
Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just
were a bit low on fluid.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not have a scan tool sophisticated enough to check the shift solenoids. I will remove the pan to inspect for metal shavings and then I will be ready for your next step.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I forgot to mention. The check engine light is not on.

Many parts stores will loan you a scan tool for a deposit.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will rate you when the job is complete. The jury is still out and I never convict without all the evidence.

Okay, but please don't hold it against my 5 star rating if you are unable to complete the tasks due to tooling.

My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. The exact fix I want to hear is the correct one that will take care of the issue at hand.

I agree, and doing all the tests the lproper way to arrive at that conclusion is paramout

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've pulled the pan and there is no metal shavings. The magnet in the pan has very minimal dust collection on it. I checked the valve body and it is there. I don't know what else to check on the valve body. I cannot check the clutches unless I pull the tranny out and disassembly. What's next?