Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

It won't shift out of first gear. Transmission is 94, brake

Customer Question

It won't shift out of first gear.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: Transmission is 94, brake switch activates
JA: What is the model of your '94 transmissions?
Customer: F-150 i6. That's all I know right now
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, initially the shifter was swinging because the two wear pins on the side were worn. I pulled up the shifter, pushed the pins back in, and now it won't shift at all out of first
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. That I'm a freaking idiot
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you checked to see if any shifter linkage is binding up before the transmission.With worn pins there may be more components that are worn leading from the shifter to the transmission causing this issue here.I would inspect to see if any linkage is found to be bent or damaged.

If this is all found to be o.k. this can be an issue with a synchro or binding gate/gear in the transmission causing this fault needing inspected and repaired.In some cases this can require removal of the transmission to fully inspect it.

http://www.partesymas.com/catalogos/estandar/M5R2.pdf

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete