sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Will not shift from 3rd 2008 ram 3500 Cummings, No leaking

Customer Question

Will not shift from 3rd 2008 ram 3500 Cummings
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No leaking fluid full no burn smells 2008 157,000 miles
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Sitting at a TA Truck stop with 5th wheel
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Was working fine until I stopped an fueled up when I got back on interstate wouldn't shift
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cancel my subscription
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if you're transmission is going into limp in. When the trans controller sees a failure that will prevent proper operation it will set fault codes and lock you in a single gear to prevent damage.

There are many possible causes for limp in including speed sensors, the range sensor, solenoids, wiring, the trans controller itself and internal transmission issues.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a code reader or scan tool to see what fault codes are set and then testing can be one from there based on the findings.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!