Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It doesnt work in drive but works fine in reverse, HHR 07 in…

Customer Question
It doesnt work in...

It doesnt work in drive but works fine in reverse

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

HHR 07 in think

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your HHR yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried anything yet the car belong to a friend

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

She did buy a used trans with a 90 warranty

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
7/30/2017
Transmission Mechanic: kalamykid, shop owner/tech replied 1 year ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, shop owner/tech

Is this a fresh install?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a used transmission haven't started anything except to put the car on stands and take off the front wheels

Did you check the fluid level? How long has the transmission been in the car?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no supposedly a mechanic checked it out said the trans need to be replaced ,didn't find a dip stick to check the fluid level ,it is an original trans 150,00o mile or so the odometer doesn't work
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
don't want a phone call at the present , just starting this replacement don't really know much about the car , it runs well reverse works fine

If it has lost forward gears, then the direct clutch pack has gone bad. and yes it will need to be replaced. There will not be an electrical problem that would cause the trans not to pull in first gear. How can I assist you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do you have to disconnect to drop the subframe and is it possible to take off the AC unit so I won't have to get it recharged
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just the general stuff to drop the sub frame on the ground don't have a lift though it is up on jack stands do have a cherry picker and trans jack

The best thing to use to drop the sub frame will be to use a mini pick. It is a metal piece that sits just inside the fenders with a bar across the top. The cross bar has a hook and a come along on it to hold the engine in place so you can drop just the transmission. If you do not have access to one, you can make one out of a couple of pieces of 2x4 to sit along the inside f the fenders where the fender is bolted to the body, and a 4x4 laid across the top with a ratchet strap to hold the engine up. http://www.cpooutlets.com/otc-tools-and-equipment-4324-1-100-lbs--engine-support-bar/otcn4324,default,pd.html . This is a cheaper version of what I am talking about so you can see what I am saying. This will allow you to leave the engine in the car and just drop the sub frame and transmission.

Just wanted to check in with you and see how things are going?