Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Can't get it to switch out of 4x4 back to Awd, 2000 Dakota,

Customer Question
Can't get it to...

Can't get it to switch out of 4x4 back to Awd

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2000 Dakota, 5.9 with the 45rfe transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

Last month. I just finished replacing it along with the filters as well today.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced the fluids, filters and the kickdown solenoid pack

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Everything started when I lost theTransfer Case Shifter Control Rod. I lost is as I was driving and did not notice until it slipped out of gear.
I was able to manually put it into AWD and drove it about 5 miles before it came out of gear again. Once again I manually put it AWD and drove again about 5 miles and once again it happened.
After the last time it slipped out of gear I put it in 4-hi and now it will not come out of 4wd.
7/30/2017
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it were in four low then a little bit of a special procedure would be required to shift back out, but if you're in four high then it should shift out with no issues just while moving. Possible causes for it not shifting would be a linkage or shifter issue, or an internal failure in the transfer case. It sounds as if you have an internal issue in the transfer case if it was popping out of gear on it's own without linkage even attached.

What needs to be done is verify there is nothing blocking movement at the shifter and make sure the linkage is adjusted correctly. If ok then the problem is in the transfer case.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for the info. It is stuck in 4low I believe.
It hasn't piped out of gear with the linkage attached.

If it's in four low then you'll need to be in an area where you can drive straight. With the truck rolling about 5 MPH and without ever touching the brake, shift the trans into neutral. Then quickly and firmly push the transmission shifter out of four low and into all wheel drive, and put the transmission shifter back into drive.