Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006 chevy cobalt manual transmission that will…

Customer Question
Hello i have a...

Hello i have a 2006 chevy cobalt manual transmission that will shift when the key is turned off but when i start the car sometimes the car shifts into gear right and then sometimes not at all. Also my ignition key when i try to turn it over to start the car i have to put it in reverse and let it roll to get the steering column to unlock it and get it to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

I cant shift at all

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?

No i have a friend umm the synchronizor link or something was sticking out and I guess he took it out and when he did it was bent like it slips out \

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No i think that is it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Transmissions
i can sometimes get in and no problem with shifting, its usually when i get on the highway and then go to exit and downshifting it then starts not going into gear its like after the rpms have went up for a time period and then back down from slowing the acceleration it starts not wanting to go into gear and stays in neutral.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/30/2017
Transmission Mechanic: kalamykid, shop owner/tech replied 11 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, shop owner/tech

This problem sounds like the pilot bearing is getting hot and swelling and holding onto the input shaft of the transmission. If you shut the car off when it does not want to shift, and start the car in gear, does the car seam like it wants to move as you turn the engine over even with the clutch depressed?