Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
Experience:  Automotive instructor at Porter and Chester institute
14457476

All of a sudden while driving on the highway my overdrive

Customer Question

All of a sudden while driving on the highway my overdrive started started shifting off n on. Its getting worse now as shifting while driving slow happens very slow. I gotta really get the rpm up for it to shift.... Any ideas?
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Well the transfer case was leaking i guess and my mechanic had no time to fix it. 3 weeks later this happened, so i analized it better and realized the drain plug losened up...
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 94 L 400
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just tighted the plug last night but obviously ill be low on fluid. Not sure what fluid to use. On top of all this, there seems to be a short in the switch when you engage the OD, and for some reason my cold starting is terrible and there is lots of smoke and sputtering. I just had the head overhauled a month ago...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Cant think of anything....
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 2 months ago.
Hi welcome to just answers my name is ***** ***** the overdrive light flashes on and of is because there is an internal transmission problem that's affecting upshifting to overdrive, this can be contamination of fluids causing the transmission fluid to overheat or low fluid level, this can also be an overdrive solenoid that's shorting out within the transmission.
If the engine is missfiring it will also cause the overdrive light to flash. So you have a number of problems on your vehicle that need attention starting with condition of transmission fluid and level, and engine misfire detection
Have you check the level and condition of your transmission fluid?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The tranny fluid is up and recently changed. I also agree it could be an electrical issue, but one thing, there seems to be a short in the actual shifter itself, once its in drive the overdrive light is kinda off n on. If i kind of play with the shifter the light will flicker off n on. Sometimes i can get it to stay on or it just wont stay on at all. In park it stays on, but once i put er in drive its off or flickering until it decides to be off or on....
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I topped up the transfer case with the proper fluid also.

hi sorry for the delay do you want to continue?