Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

2001 HD2500 4x4, When shifting from reverse to forward at a

Customer Question

2001 HD2500 4x4, When shifting from reverse to forward at a stop. Transmission hesitates a couple seconds and then engages hard. Only 66k on truck but only 40k on Allison do the unidentifiable leak. Started to notice some harder down shifts but don't know if related.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No leaking, transmission 9years old, and roughly 40k since replaced
JA: What is the model of your '01 transmissions?
Customer: Unsure.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No took it to a chev dealer but they can not duplicate issue.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

On the Allison model transmission there were some issues with the transmission pressure sensor located inside the transmission.The transmission pan is removed to access this sensor.It becomes dirty on top of it on the small diaphragms.

You can remove it and clean these off then reinstall it.I have done this to several Allison transmissions in the past to correct this fault.

If for some reason this does not correct this issue let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjeh2y3lhtc2a3u/tp-07-28.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete