Richard, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic and transmission expert.
10437779

Had transmission rebuilt w/new valve body and TC but trans

Customer Question

Had transmission rebuilt w/new valve body and TC but trans codes never cleared and car still jerks b/t 1st and 2nd. After having it back only two days had to bring it back to Indy Trans shop who admitted problems with computer clearing all along. It's been 4 days now (30 days the time before that). Related problem (?) ABS, DSC and traction control all failed at the same moment that the transmission went out five weeks ago.
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? And have the brakes been squeaking?
Customer: sorry, codes for tram are 701, 721 and sometimes 735. Wonder if ECU needs upgrade and trans problems are "learned behavior."
JA: What year is your tC?
Customer: Brakes, rotors and pads replaced about 4 months ago. No problems except new parts rusted within weeks.
JA: Are you fixing your tC yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Year of car is 2006, torque converter new.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Car has 61,000 miles, drove great last two years. Five weeks ago, I get gas and within 60 seconds have 8 codes and car is hard to drive. Jaguar dealer would only help with ABS problems after transmission is fixed.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Transmission shop has said that despite rebuild, they had problems getting the car's computer to "accept" new transmission (parts?). Is ECU inside transmission or outside? Just wonder what your ideas might be. All fluids have been topped off; I'm more concerned about the rebuilt transmission not working than any other issue--that's why I had car towed to Jaguar dealer prior to having reputable Indy trans shop rebuild it. Seems something needs resetting.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.
the TCM is part of the valve body inside the transmission. This very well could be the problem as there are really no serviceable parts. Not sure how it was rebuilt or if the TCM was replaced or swapped out. There is also a TCM adaption clear procedure that needs to be done with the Jaguar diagnostic software.