kalamykid
kalamykid, shop owner/tech
Experience:  I have owned my own trans shop for 6 years.
5629372

Clutch will not fully engage, I believe it's stuck partially

Customer Question

clutch will not fully engage, I believe it's stuck partially open and when I accelerate hard the clutch will just slip. I heard that if you slam on the brakes while in gear, it will sometimes fix it. Do you know of any other quick method that can be tried out first without having to go in depthin pulling the tranny, etc.the
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 months ago.

There are only two things that can keep the clutch from fully engaging, the clutch disk is to worn for the pressure plate to apply enough pressure to it, or the throw out bearing is hanging on the bearing retainer. I hate to say it but both of these problems require you to pull the transmission out to inspect and repair them.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it can't be the clutch or even the throwout bearing or the slave cylinder, or any other part because I just spent $1000 and replaced my clutch about 2 1/2 months ago and I have barely put 3000 miles on it. The clutch that I had before, that I replaced, went for 150,000 miles. like I said, when I had the clutch replaced the flywheel was machined and every single component related to the clutch including all the hydraulics will replaced as well.

The hydraullic clutch system is the most simple of clutches. I know you may have just had it replaced, but there are only the two things I posted that can cause your problem. The flywheel could have been machined wrong, the pressure plate could be week, or you could have gotten a defective slave cylinder. I know you do not want to hear it, but the transmission HAS to come back out to fix this problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
then why have I read so many posts online from mechanics that have had success via this method?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
have you ever even heard of this before?

You can not trust everything you see in the internet. I have not ever heard of a clutch not fully engaging working again from slamming on the breaks.

For the clutch not to fully engage, the pressure plate is not applying enough pressure on the clutch disk. If the throw out bearing is not apply pressure to the pressure plate, the pressure plate should be able to hold the clutch disk and keep it from spinning. If it is not, then the pressure plate is bad, or the clutch disk is to worn for it to be able to. I do have a good question for you, when they replaced the hydrollic system, did they use dot 3 or dot 4 brake fluid to refill it?

Did you find your problem?