Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

1998 Ford expedition was commanded by it's self to egage

Customer Question
1998 Ford expedition was commanded...
1998 Ford expedition was commanded by it's self to egage into 4x4 low. I can not manually command it out. I metered the 4x4 mode switch and replaced the GEM
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I can prove the 4x4 engage vacum solenoid id is being commanded to engage
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thanks!
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Transmissions
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/25/2017
Transmission Mechanic: tsmodie, Other replied 3 months ago
tsmodie
tsmodie, Other

Hi, my name is ***** ***** procedure are you trying to get it out of 4 lo?

I have acess to Alldata.com so I have been using their info to troubleshoot.
Does my question make sense to you?

yes, but what are doing to try to get it out of 4lo? just pushing the button?

I am using the 4x4 mode select switch
It went to 4WD by itself couple of weeks ago so I pulled the 4WD vacuum solenoid connector off and gave the 2WD vacuum solenoid its own ground to the battery to not allow it to switch over. That worked for awhile but it went to 4LOW but itself and no the transmission toggles between a high to a low gear
The 4x4 light never went off when I disabled the 4x4 solenoid

ok, you need to have everything connected, then start the car and put the transmission in neutral, and you foot on the brke, then push the 4hi button, then push the 2hi button and see if it comes out of 4lo, the transmission must be in neutral and your foot on the brake to come out of 4lo, can you try this?

I did that already and it stays in 4LoW

do any of the lights on the 4wd switch flash when you try to go to 4hi?

No

the 4 lo light just stays solid?

then you most likely have bad switch.

I agree but I metered it and I can see the change in resistance in each setting. It's a simple analog meter so I really can't tell what the exact value is. I have a digital at work.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician