Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  43 years of automotive repair, Smog license
12365498

Almost each time I drive my 2006 Jeep Commander by

Customer Question

Almost each time I drive my 2006 Jeep Commander by Transmission Over Temp warning lights up. It can come after a minute of driving or 10 minutes or 20 minutes or 30 minutes. Sometimes it will turn itself off after 10-15 minutes. Other times if I turn the engine off and turn it back on it does not return for the rest of the drive, but on occasion it will turn back on within 10 minutes. Its been doing this for at least 3 years. I just had it serviced again recently by the dealership, so I know the transmission is in OK shape and has fresh fluid. Do you think it is the sensor?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: It appears in writing where the outside temp would appear.
JA: Are you fixing your Commander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I take it to the dealership
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The Jeep has about 198K miles on it
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Yes this is the transmission temperature sensor acting up. I have seen this before at the dealership I work at. Replacing the transmission's solenoid pack usually takes care of this. The temperature sensor is incorporated into the solenoid pack assembly.

Ask the dealer to check this and replace the solenoid pack. It is about a 2 hour job, and should run you around $500.00 parts and labor to replace it.

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you! That confirms my feeling as well
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hello again, just wondering if you have any further questions regarding your Commander. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not at this time. Thanks!
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

You are welcome! Please don't forget to rate my service or at least accept my answer. I get absolutely no credit unless you do.

Thank you!

Chris