hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 Years Automotive experience,ASE Master & L1 certified. Ford certified trans rebuilder
285738

2005 f250 6.0 I recently had some trans issues.. Drove truck

Customer Question

2005 f250 6.0
Hello, I recently had some trans issues..
Drove truck on several errands. Got back to the shop, parked it, moved it 30 feet and parked again. Went to drive away later and would not shift into gear. Shift arm moves to select any gear, linkage is moving on trans. Does not matter what gear I select it will not shift into gear. Shifted the transfer case repeatedly in and out of 4x4 made no difference. Put the shift selector in every gear and manually was able to roll the truck. In park I could not roll the truck.
Tried reving motor, turned off and on repeatedly no luck.
I had several problems before where it took a long time to shift into reverse but always did eventually.
I had to go to work but three hrs later my boss starts up the truck, revs it up a bit and it slammed into gear.
I checked the fluid it is at the right level and the color is normal.
Would the low/reverse solenoid cause this kind of issue? I forgot to check it for codes.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  hdgene replied 2 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  hdgene replied 2 months ago.

Hello, the transmission will roll forward in park? No warning lights came on when running? Do you see the transmission fluid level drop on the dipstick when you check the fluid level off and running? The fluid level should drop on the dipstick if the pump is working.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Trans will not roll in park. No warning lights and tow/haul is not flashing. Truck shifts like a dream once can get into 1st
I did not check the dipstick on and off
Expert:  hdgene replied 2 months ago.

Ok if the shift linkage is moving the shifter and the trans isnt moving, check the operation of the fluid pump as I described. If there is no fluid movement the pump has failed. Drop the trans pan and inspect the linkage and inspect the filter, make sure it hasnt fallen into the pan and causing the fluid to aerate and not engage. If this checks ok then the trans will have to come out and be disassembled or replaced. The low reverse planetary is a common failure but you usually have some forward engagement.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
check fluid when truck is running,
Check fluid when off. How much different should the levels be on the dipstick?
Expert:  hdgene replied 2 months ago.

When the truck is off, note the fluid level on the dipstick, when its running it should drop on the stick to indicate fluid circulation. No exact amount but you will see a clear difference. You can double check for codes, that wont hurt to check but it wont cause no engagement. That would be a base internal hydraulic/mechanical issue.

Expert:  hdgene replied 2 months ago.

If you need more help or information, please let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating using the 5 stars above so I get credit for helping you.

Expert:  hdgene replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Gene,
I am up at camp and will not be back at the truck for a good while to check out your suggestions. I'll keep you posted
Expert:  hdgene replied 2 months ago.
No problem. Let me know if you need more help. Remember to rate the question to close it when done.thank you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What creates the hydraulic pressure inside the trans?
If the TCM had failed in some way it would be throwing a code and still function in limp mode correct?
I am away at work but I had a friend start the truck up and drive it around. Trans is functioning perfectly right now.
I am having a hard time imaging there could be that many different issues that could present like this.
Expert:  hdgene replied 2 months ago.

The oil pump is what makes pressure, the valve body directs it to each clutch pack. This trans doesnt use a separate TCM. The Powertrain control module is what controls the transmission. If it was in failsafe mode/limp home mode it will set and store codes and the warning lamp may be off. A high end/dealer style scan tool would need to be used to pull all transmission diagnostic information. Some code readers only read generic information.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What could cause the trans to not shift at all, but a short time later work perfectly? Could that only be an inconsistent fluid pressure issue?
Expert:  hdgene replied 2 months ago.

The transmission fluid temperature sensor is a common issue that when the fluid temperature reads too hot it can put it into a failsafe mode. This and other electronic concerns can cause an intermittent fault. A check for codes of the transmission will need to be done. Typically if the trans fluid temperature sensor is bad, the trans temp gauge on the dash will also show it overheating.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wouldn't that just put the trans into limp mode?