Merc320
Merc320, Technician
Experience:  City & guilds pt 1 & 2
22484842

One of our company vehicles is a sterling 8000. It was

Customer Question

One of our company vehicles is a sterling 8000. It was leaking transmission fluid, but was driving and shifting without issue. The mechanic came to our shop and drive it back to theirs. It was determined that it needed the front resealed and the torque converter replaced(leaking). Once this was completed they informed me that it was no longer leaking, but now the gears were sticking and it would not shift. They spent a day investing and replacing valves and I have now been told that it requires a new valve body. My question: does this sound standard or is it possible that they did something wrong or didn't put it together properly after doing the deal and torque converter? Like I said before it was driving and shifting without issue before we took it in. So a $2500 seal and torque has now turned in to a $5000 seal, torque, and valve body. If it is legit I don't mind paying, but it doesn't seem like everything is matching up.
Thank you for you assistance.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Merc320 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am here to assist you.

Unfortunatly this is normal, you try valves first and sometimes it fixes the issue.

The only thing i think they should of maybe done is given you the option to renew valve body first.

If they had given you this option you would not have this problem .

on the other hand it might have worked repairing valves.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for the information. So just to make sure I understand completely. Do the valves just go out when the torque and front seal are replaced? Like I mentioned before the truck was driving and shifting without any issue. Does that sound like it had a valve body issue before they did the torque work? Thank you again for the information.
Expert:  Merc320 replied 2 months ago.

Hi

With the leak of fluid the valve body may have got dry or damaged, some thing they wont see on inspection.

Unfortunatly once you start working on autos issues like this show them self.