Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

Have a96 tahoe with a 406E trans. Driving when it goes into

Customer Question

have a96 tahoe with a 406E trans. Driving when it goes into neutral. Checked drive train,shift linkage, fueses. All good , Put on code reader no codes. Don't no where to go from here. Can you PLEASE help me,
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: 1996 came with tahoe. checked fluid, up to mark.
JA: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: fuses all good,put on code reader, nothing- fixing myselph.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Matt replied 10 days ago.

Hello

If you're confident that the selector linkage isn't worn and allowing miselection then I'd say its possible that the neutral to 1st solenoid is faulty or clogged or there's a lack of oil pressure to hold things in properly

So I'd begin by draining off the fluid and dropping the sump to clean out the filter screen and then try again with fresh fluid

Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

Expert:  Matt replied 6 days ago.

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you