sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4 4.7L started shifting

Customer Question

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4 4.7L started shifting spontaneously from 2 hi to 4 lo. Tries to shift even when car is parked, off and no key in ignition. I pulled the fuse for the transfer case motor so I can still drive it, but svc 4wd light still conmes on periodically when I am driving. Is this the TCCM? If yes, there seems to be no afetr market option. Wiring between fuse box, transfer case control motor, selector switch and AC high pressure transducer has all been checked by my shop, and all good. No shorts, proper voltage. Stopped by the dealership and they said they would have to just start replacing parts until the problem is resolved.
JA: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.
Customer: This one only has one fuse panel under the hood. I confirmed with my shop that it is safe to drive with the fuse for the transfer case motor pulled. I have checked the manual, but I know this truck pretty well. I have owned it for 9 years.
JA: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am not yet trying to fix it. I need to figure out which part needs to be replaced. Dodge says they have no way of identifying which part is causing the problem. I can start with the least expensive part (the AC high pressure transducer and start working my way up, but the control module is over $700. Takes about 5 minutes to replace, but once bought, I own it, so I don't want to buy it unless I really need to.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thank you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the transfer case motor is shifting on it's own it is because the front control module is seeing an incorrect transfer case motor position and attempting a shift that it should not. The problem could be the motor itself, wiring, the a/c transducer, the FCM or IPM. It would require some electrical testing at the time the problem is happening to know for sure what is going on but there is a near 100% chance that the transfer case motor will need to be replaced.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!