Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

My shifter is loose and I only have 2nd and 3rd gear. I

Customer Question

My shifter is loose and I only have 2nd and 3rd gear.
JA: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?
Customer: I don't know. It's a 1997 Infiniti QX4.
JA: Are you fixing your QX4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We fixed the throttle body assembly, checked the iac valve, changed out the fuel pump and the fuel filters.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It doesn't work in Drive and it goes to 20 mph only when in it. But if the car is on 2, it goes up to 40 at 4500 rpms.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does the shifter shift in and out of drive and park and all other gears properly and that the issue is it moves to easy or does it not move at all into these gears?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is very loose in drive, but shifts fine between all gears.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's an auto transmission, but Drive idles out and won't go over 20mph while in Drive. But in Gear 2, the car will pick up to 40mph. It shifts gears in 2, but I have no first gear, unfortunately.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

O.k.,the shifter cable needs to be checked to see if it is worn or damaged in any way.Most of the time this fault here is caused by an issue with the shifter cable itself with it needing replaced.This can cause the loose feel as well as incorrectly shift the shift linkage on the transmission when placed in drive or another gear position.

I would have the shifter cable checked over for any issues.Any issues found with this cable indicates the cable needs replaced.

Usually to check this block the wheels and set the emergency brake and disconnect the cable from the transmission and see if it is felt to manually shift at the transmission lever properly into each gear/detent.If it does then the cable needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete