Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

It is dying after it accelerates wont generate enough rpms

Customer Question

it is dying after it accelerates wont generate enough rpms to change gears
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: 2008 tribute
JA: Are you fixing your Tribute yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: brake light/bell has been coming on intermittently and I have to pull switch to make it stop
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes I've changed spark plugs and coils
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

Hello

This sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.
1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

And one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine
If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is also a metallic sounding noise when the engine is revved up, almost like something may have fallen off inside. Someone mentioned that it may be the timing chain needs to be reset but I would need to know whether the engine is interference or non-interference? Timing chain is not broken.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

Hello

thanks for the extra info

if you have a tinkling light rattle then yes its quite possibly a stretched chain

if you remove the oil filler cap and listen with a running engine for this noise

you don't say what engine this is but here's a list of Mazda engines showing whats interference or not

Mazda

• 1.5L Non-Interference
  • 1.6L Non-Interference
  • 1.8L 4 Cyl. Non-Interference
  • 1.8L V6 Non-Interference
  • 2.0L Diesel Interference
  • 2.0L DOHC (626, MX-6 & Protege) Interference
  • 2.0L DOHC (Tribute) Non-Interference
  • 2.0L SOHC Non-Interference
  • 2.2L Interference
  • 2.3L 4 Cyl. (B2300) Non-Interference
  • 2.3L V6 Non-Interference
  • 2.5L 4 Cyl. (B2500) Non-Interference
  • 2.5L V6 Non-Interference
  • 3.0L DOHC Interference
  • 3.0L SOHC Interference

the chain can't be reset as such if its stretched then its needs replacing