Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

My E320 1994 changing 2nd and 3rd gear with sound from the

Customer Question

My E320 1994 changing 2nd and 3rd gear with sound from the back side(deferential side)
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: 240k km
JA: Are you fixing your E320 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes my self
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Fuel leakage is there but I always check and fill
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Down shifts from 5 to second slow
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not shift to 4th, shifting from 3rd to 5th always
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Right now irritating to me, two problems first one sound from the back ( deferential side) while changing the gear 2nd &3rd, second slow up shift from 5th to, second or first gear
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Until now two things I did, vacuum adjustment and kick down cable adjustment
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Up shift sound ( 2nd&3rd)started just couple of months but down shift slowness and 4th gear changing problem since I bought the car is there and fluid leakage as well but as I mentioned above, I always check the fluid and fill if necessary.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Check for any worn or damaged flex discs that connect the driveline to the transmission and the differential.If any of these are found to be worn or damaged the affected flex disc will need replaced.

If you have not had the fault codes checked/read out this should be done as well to see if any codes are set related to the transmission fault here.If a code is set related to this fault here it will have to be repaired to resolve this issue.If this is or was done and no codes are set let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete