Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

Trans will not shift into higher gfears. before and after

Customer Question

trans will not shift into higher gfears. before and after fluid and filter change. shifts normally with passing gear when accelerator is hit hard like it should. but even under normal conditions, it wont get beyond 50-55 mph. like it hits a wall . RPMs go up but no speed past 50-55. everything fuel related is new too, tank , pum,ps, regulatror, etc
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: unsure of age.
JA: What is the model of your '50 Mercedes?
Customer: brake switch would cause that at high speeds only? its not a 50. 1991 300ce
JA: Are you fixing your 300CE yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: new trans fluid and filter, removed exhaust to make sure it wasn't cats.all new fuel system , new head with new valves , all new cam and timing sensors
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's about it
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This may be due to a possible fault with the transmission governor itself or the accumulator in the transmission as this can cause this type of fault here.I would have these checked/tested to see if either are the cause here.This is usually best done with the correct test equipment to do this testing.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete