Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Toyota Rav4 2.4 ltr awd 2005 is not gearing down properly

Customer Question

good evening, Toyota Rav4 2.4 ltr awd 2005 is not gearing down properly especially hill up (we need to step on the gas before it goes from 3->2. When it is in 3rd gear during driving it starts to alternate (now and then) between 2 and 3
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: 2005, oops brake switch ....ehhh is that the little switch above the brake pedal
JA: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, It started with a combination of problems. The problem as described and weak ideling/sometimnes stalling. I cleaned the throttle valve, checked all the (vacuum) hoses. Found a hole in the brake booster so renewed that -> idling problem solved...not the gtransmission
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1- have you had it the Transmission module scanned and the engine module for fault codes ?

2- has the trans fluid been serviced ?

3- any check engine light on at this time ?

4- we need to narrow some thing down, is it trans related or tune up related where it is misfiring and there is a delay in the shifing from 2 to 3 ?

5- has the transmission been slipping prior to this , or this happened suddenly ?

lets start here and we go from there

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat