Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  25 yrs. repairing vehicles. Factory trained Nissan and Subaru Technician.
2921078

Sometimes the car will not start. I can sometimes put

Customer Question

sometimes the car will not start. I can sometimes put transmission in neutral and it will start. I can just wait a minute and it will start. I'm told it has something to do with a switch when the car is in park.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: So, the batteries have been replaced. A new battery has zero failures for a time. This latest battery has been in place for like 8 months and the failures are increasing. The terminals and perfectly clean. That part was taken care of as part of the investigation on the last battery. Its like there's a charge that builds up and when you turn the key it starts. Then as the battery ages a bit the charge is not always enough to make it crank over??
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2004 Nissan Titan
JA: Are you fixing your Titan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've had aaa come out and run their dianostics. Always comes up clean. The last battery was just below the line when I changed it. I went out just now and it started. Was thinking about having aaa come out and run the numbers. The aaa driver yesterday was somewhat knowledagble and he suggested that I use a different battery than the aaa brand. I was just about to buy a everstart from whalmart.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

It is possible the problem is with the battery, but it actually sounds more like a problem with the park neutral position switch. This is located under the oil pan on the transmission. If it's not making a good connection, then it's not sending signal to allow the starter relay to send power to the starter. Putting the truck into neutral is making the connection so it will start.

It could be wiring from the transmission out to the IPDM and ECM, but it's likely the switch itself.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help with this? If not, please remember to rate my answer.

Thank you.