Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

From first to second at about 3500 rpm. It is a slow shift.

Customer Question

shits from first to second at about 3500 rpm. It is a slow shift. No slip. No hard shift. OR you can just let off the gas and it will shift fine. I can let off the gas around 2k and it will shift fine but not letting off the gas it will shift at about 3500 to 4k. The shift is smooth just at the wrong rpm.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: starts and runs fine. no loss of power. no gas hog
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: 01 gmc sierra
JA: Are you fixing your Sierra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed the tps.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is all
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The TPS ( throttle position sensor) is common to cause this here.If this sensor is sending a false throttle position signal this causes the transmission to shift high.I have also seen issues with the transmission pressure control solenoid failing.I would have both of these checked to see if one is found to be at fault here needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete