hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 Years Automotive experience,ASE Master & L1 certified. Ford certified trans rebuilder
285738

When my 2004 Ford f150 shifts into OD its like it is in

Customer Question

When my 2004 Ford f150 shifts into OD its like it is in neutral. Engine revs up. I pushed the OD off button and can go just fine in 3 gears.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No leaks. I beleive the tranny is original with 108K miles on it.
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have just been googling so far. One possibility is the OD snap ring on the OD servo?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  hdgene replied 5 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  hdgene replied 5 months ago.

Yes, that is a very common cause for this exact problem. A piece of either the snap ring that holds the od servo in the trans case snaps orr of the clip on the servo can break. The broken piece of the clip makes its way into the valve body and jams the 3-4 shift valve up. Removal of the valve body and disassembly to remove the broken piece of clip, removal and installation of the od servo is required. This isnt too bad a repair, but its critical when replacing the od servo that t he piston pin catches the od band. Or it will neutral again. If youre not comfortable with this repair a trans shop or dealer can do this for a few hours labor.

Expert:  hdgene replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  hdgene replied 5 months ago.

If you need more help with this concern please let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating.

Expert:  hdgene replied 5 months ago.

If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating so I get credit for assisting you.

Expert:  hdgene replied 5 months ago.

Hello?