Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Transmission. Lost 3rd and 4th gear. Been striving for more

Customer Question

Transmission. Lost 3rd and 4th gear. Been striving for more MPGs and shifting from drive to neutral when coasting. sometimes tranny did not shift back into gear as soon as I moved lever causing engine to over rev just before it went into gear. This was not a big deal, but a couple weeks ago it was shifting up and when it hit 3rd it continued to rev. same in 4th. I drove it several days in 2nd (45mph max). It feels as if clutches are gone, while coasting I can move it into 3rd or 4th and feel a slight pull as engine and drive speeds sync, but will not have enough to propel the truck. I pulled the codes and got P0741. I am thinking that a solenoid is getting signal, but not engaging or partially (not enough pressure to fully engage clutches). Drove one day and shifted normally and next day would shift above 2nd, but, would not transfer power in 3rd and 4th. when shifting into 3rd or 4th during coast it would bring engine speed up to sync with travel speed in that gear. any suggestions before I tie into it?
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: no,no till a couple weeks ago
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: Sorry 03 silverado 5.3
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 4x4
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: slight tint in fluid color 187K mi.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

that is the only code set ?