sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

83 mb 240d manuel trans. works fine in R.,1st., 2nd. There

Customer Question

83 mb 240d manuel trans. works fine in R.,1st., 2nd. There is nothing in third and forth. Underneath I can move the lever to the trans for 3rd. and 4th. and it just goes back and forth, like it is not engaging. If I do the same with R, 1, 2, they engage. roger
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

A linkage issue can cause shift problems but if you're moving the linkage directly at the transmission and it will not go into gear then that indicates an internal transmission problem. There is either a shift rail, fork or detent issue that is preventing it from fully shifting or from being locked into gear. If it won't go into gear when shifting it by hand right at the trans then the trans is either going to need to be disassembled for inspection or replaced.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is exactly what I thoight.

Sorry it isn't better news!