xsvectOR
xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase
6149662

The transmission suddenly stopped working. It will jerk when

Customer Question

The transmission suddenly stopped working. It will jerk when I change gears but just whines if I hit the accelerator. It worked fine one minute and won't go forward or reverse either one now.
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: Today after it stopped working.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2003 Explorer XLT
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've checked the fluid level (which is a pain) and topped it off when warm and let it go down to a drip before plugging it back up.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's all i have so far.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 4 months ago.

thats one of two things a failed torq converter or a failed pump...i would remove the trans check the splines in the converter they tend to strip..if they are good drain the converter if any contamination is found it will require replacement... if all is good there the trans will need to come apart and pump and internals checked

Expert:  xsvectOR replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
John S