sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Wasn't shifting into 4th. Changed what I think is shift

Customer Question

Wasn't shifting into 4th. Changed what I think is shift solenoid D. Now works, until warm, then limo mode in 3rd gear. Is there an external temp/press sensor for feedback?
JA: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded. What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: yes, the circular 12 pin connector. Ran without the trans speed sensor getting different codes. 2001 Jetta 2.0l
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It started with shift solenoid A. Tested all solenoids and they appear to be working. But them back in a different order. Then got the code for shift solenoid D. Worked on the fluid level.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It failed at about 45 mph. Dropping engine power and then would not shift.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many possible causes for the trans to go into limp in. Any time the trans controller sees an issue that will prevent proper operation it will set fault codes and put the trans into limp in for preservation.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to read the fault codes and then testing can be done from there based on the findings. After clearing codes, driving the car and allowing the problem to happen, what codes return?