hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 Years Automotive experience,ASE Master & L1 certified. Ford certified trans rebuilder
285738

On my computer Transmission fault popped up, I've had it

Customer Question

On my computer Transmission fault popped up
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: I've had it parked since Thursday it'll drive but it won't go over 20mph then it's cut off on me
JA: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: 02 jaguar stype 3.0
JA: Are you fixing your S-Type yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I'm a girl that no nothing about cars I was told I might need fluid
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sometimes when I start it the shift gear doesn't go out of park
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  hdgene replied 9 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay
Expert:  hdgene replied 9 months ago.

Hi, what trouble code or codes are stored the number and definition your scan tool is listing

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What do you mean scan code I'm telling you what my computer say on my dashboard
Expert:  hdgene replied 9 months ago.

Ok, when you said transmission fault, i assumed you had a scan tool and retrieved a diagnostic trouble code. When the message center on the dash indicates a transmission fault, the trnsmission has set a diagnostic trouble code. Being a jaguar you will need a scan tool to retrieve the code or codes stored to have an idea what type of fault is stored. This will tell what area of the transmission is having a malfunction and what to test and check from there. The message can be on for one of a few hundred different error messages.

Expert:  hdgene replied 9 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  hdgene replied 9 months ago.

Most auto parts stores will pull codes for free, but usually can only read engine codes. A transmission fault on a euopean model vehicle will most likely require being diagnosed at by a shop with the proper equipment to know what is wrong or what to check.