Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Change fluid. Transmission not sure about color and

Customer Question

change fluid
JA: Just to clarify, which fluid are you talking about? And what color and consistency is it?
Customer: transmission not sure about color and consistency.
JA: What is the model/year of your transmissions?
Customer: 2009 santa fe 3.3L vy
JA: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, haven't tried anything yet except bulbs
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: can't think of anything. just want to change fluid as recommended
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Is your question, how to change your automatic transaxle oil?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i didn't think this was going to be a major production. I just wnat to be sure i know where the drain plug is, what to remove in the way of splash guards, whether the 2009 has the sealed-type trans, (I don't think so bec it has a dipstick) and if the type of fluid that i got at auto zone is OK. It is type III. Not sure what else is on the cans. they are in the car.

This is the fluid you need. HYUNDAI Automatic Transmission Fluid DIAMOND SP III or SK Automatic Transmission Fluid SP III. If using Autoone oil make sure it is compatible with your requirements.

Here are the steps to replace the trans oil. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/transservice.pdf

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Fluid label says: Meets Dexron-III/Mercon performance requirements. Is this OK?
How do i recognize the hose from the transmission to the oil cooler. I assume this is metal? Is the fluid going to spurt out? Will it be hot? should i warm up the engine and trans before i do this or not? I watched a video on youtube and it seems there is a sort of splash guard that needs to be removed. about how much fluid can i expect will come out when I disconnect the tube?