Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years GM master tech
19513769

Was driving my 97 suburban,put it in 4x4 high for five

Customer Question

Was driving my 97 suburban,put it in 4x4 high for five blocks ,put it back in two wheel drive ,and wouldn't move in any gears ,turned it off the on again then it went into all gears drove it bout ten blocks and stopped working ,in all gears ,it sat and the same things don't move ,what can be the issue
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: Don't really know how old ,the brake switch ,what's that got to do with it
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes ,check fuses ,good ,and fluid good
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

and it was fine before the transfer case was shifted into 4WD ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

most of these that do this the issue is going to be the encoder motor on the drivers side of the transfercase unlocking the transfercase causing this neutral issue

when this happens and it will NOT move before you shut it off and put it in park will it still roll and NOT lock on the parking lock ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No what can be the issue
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Still there
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

im here it takes a while to type back

Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

the issue is going to be the encoder motor on the drivers side of the transfer case not keeping the transfer case locked into 2WD

replacing the transfer case encoder motor should fix this problem

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It goes into ,then I start it it works I did the gears several times then it stopped working ,nothing in all gears
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

that usually means the transfer case is unlocking

with it not doing this before the 4WD was used the issue should be a bad encoder motor

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It seems like it goes or is in 2 h then it goes to nothing so it's the encorador ,how much are those are they to put in
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

they run @ 300 to 375 range

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How much are those
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it easy to change out
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

you can pick one up for 150 ish

there is one electrical connector and 3 bolts to remove it

Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

how are you making out ?