Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master, L1, L2, ASE 15yrs and running.
19871424

Well, a lot of things, my 09 VW Passat Sportline is not

Customer Question

Well, a lot of things, my 09 VW Passat Sportline is not going into overdrive, the transmission is eradic in shifting as it normally won't get out of 4 unless you use paddle gears, the back lights won't go off when you drive, also the diagnostic port seems to not be working as my diagnostic tool won't turn on
JA: Does the light flash or stay on steady? Do you happen to have the trouble code?
Customer: When driving it stays on, but when you brake it flickers briefly and then stays on And no I don't have the trouble code
JA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, when we first got the car we needed a new master brake cylinder, and after that a lot of the previous started to occur, except for the overdrive and the port. A new brake light switch has put in with no success in changing the problems And I am not fixing the car myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I believe I am good
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

Ok on your issue first that the master cylinder that was installed . The brake light switch is located on the cylinder . it is a hall sensor style switch . i do need you to check the adjustment of the shaft that pushes the master cylinder.

does the vehicle lose all power while driving ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The vehicle does not lose power at all.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's a brand new brake light switch as well
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

i do need you to check the adjustment of the shaft that pushes the master cylinder. with the brake lights still on while driving the switch is seeing the brake activate and i do believe the rod is to long and needs to be shortened .

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well, I can't raise the car anytime soon
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

no if you remove the master cylinder the rod is exposed!!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can't raise the car to remove the master cylinder, I do not have that type of equipment
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

the master cylinder is located on top driver side under the hood!!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh ok, I'll try that then. How do I shorten the rod?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
this is all for a vw Passat correct?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

before doing that what light flickers of the statement "when you brake it flickers briefly and then stays on And no I don't have the trouble code"?

and what scan tool are you using ? make and model?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When you apply the brakes, the top and regular tail lights go off then on again, since they're already on to begin with and the code reader is a VAG Audi and vw. And the make and model is a vw Passat Sportline, 2009
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

so you do not have VCDS vag com scan tool to scan all modules of the vehicle correct?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's a VAG405 CAN VW/AUDI scanner
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It used to work and access some of the codes, but now it won't even do that, I believe it has something to do with the diagnostic port on the car
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

I would highly advise to use VAG COM to see if its the scan tool you are having or another issue!!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is not the tool itself
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

but if you do not have all the information of all modules you may not get to the root cause!!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The module worked one day and then didn't work again, this leads me to think it's the port
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

there are about 20 modules so that is why another scan tool to verify if it is the scan tool or the car!!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok will do, what about my next problem with the car not going into overdrive
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

need to monitor the gyroscope in the parking brake module to see if the vehicle is sensing going up hill or is it showing flat?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Doesn't matter what scenario, the car is always going into overdrive, I had to jumpstart my other car with it, and ever since then, it seems to be stuck in overdrive
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

hold on you were saying it was stuck in 4 gear !!!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that was after the master brake cylinder was changed, on flat or hills, it will get stuck in 4 and reach 3000-4000 rpms
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

ok need to see on the parking brake module and read the values to see if on a flat even surface is it reading uphill or not!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't know how to do that, all I know is that it's eradically shifting, is stuck in overdrive.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

Vag com is needed to find out if the module is recognizing if it is showing its on an incline but it is really on a flat surface. it will change the shifting and hold in gear .

i did state when i started with you this "specialized tooling may be required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results"

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm aware of what you stated, but I do not have the tools at the moment, therefore that's why I'm asking if we can move onto the next problem
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

this issue needs to be rectified and may be the issue of the other problems you have!!!