Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Well, a lot of things, my 09 VW Passat Sportline is not

Customer Question
going into overdrive, the transmission...
Well, a lot of things, my 09 VW Passat Sportline is not going into overdrive, the transmission is eradic in shifting as it normally won't get out of 4 unless you use paddle gears, the back lights won't go off when you drive, also the diagnostic port seems to not be working as my diagnostic tool won't turn on
JA: Does the light flash or stay on steady? Do you happen to have the trouble code?
Customer: When driving it stays on, but when you brake it flickers briefly and then stays on And no I don't have the trouble code
JA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, when we first got the car we needed a new master brake cylinder, and after that a lot of the previous started to occur, except for the overdrive and the port. A new brake light switch has put in with no success in changing the problems And I am not fixing the car myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I believe I am good
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Transmissions
1/8/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech replied 10 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

Ok on your issue first that the master cylinder that was installed . The brake light switch is located on the cylinder . it is a hall sensor style switch . i do need you to check the adjustment of the shaft that pushes the master cylinder.

does the vehicle lose all power while driving ?

The vehicle does not lose power at all.
It's a brand new brake light switch as well

i do need you to check the adjustment of the shaft that pushes the master cylinder. with the brake lights still on while driving the switch is seeing the brake activate and i do believe the rod is to long and needs to be shortened .

Well, I can't raise the car anytime soon

no if you remove the master cylinder the rod is exposed!!

I can't raise the car to remove the master cylinder, I do not have that type of equipment

the master cylinder is located on top driver side under the hood!!

Oh ok, I'll try that then. How do I shorten the rod?
this is all for a vw Passat correct?

before doing that what light flickers of the statement "when you brake it flickers briefly and then stays on And no I don't have the trouble code"?

and what scan tool are you using ? make and model?

When you apply the brakes, the top and regular tail lights go off then on again, since they're already on to begin with and the code reader is a VAG Audi and vw. And the make and model is a vw Passat Sportline, 2009

so you do not have VCDS vag com scan tool to scan all modules of the vehicle correct?

It's a VAG405 CAN VW/AUDI scanner
It used to work and access some of the codes, but now it won't even do that, I believe it has something to do with the diagnostic port on the car

I would highly advise to use VAG COM to see if its the scan tool you are having or another issue!!

It is not the tool itself

but if you do not have all the information of all modules you may not get to the root cause!!

The module worked one day and then didn't work again, this leads me to think it's the port

there are about 20 modules so that is why another scan tool to verify if it is the scan tool or the car!!

Ok will do, what about my next problem with the car not going into overdrive

need to monitor the gyroscope in the parking brake module to see if the vehicle is sensing going up hill or is it showing flat?

Doesn't matter what scenario, the car is always going into overdrive, I had to jumpstart my other car with it, and ever since then, it seems to be stuck in overdrive

hold on you were saying it was stuck in 4 gear !!!

that was after the master brake cylinder was changed, on flat or hills, it will get stuck in 4 and reach 3000-4000 rpms

ok need to see on the parking brake module and read the values to see if on a flat even surface is it reading uphill or not!

I don't know how to do that, all I know is that it's eradically shifting, is stuck in overdrive.

Vag com is needed to find out if the module is recognizing if it is showing its on an incline but it is really on a flat surface. it will change the shifting and hold in gear .

i did state when i started with you this "specialized tooling may be required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results"

I'm aware of what you stated, but I do not have the tools at the moment, therefore that's why I'm asking if we can move onto the next problem

this issue needs to be rectified and may be the issue of the other problems you have!!!

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech