Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Grinding noise from transmission while in gear and moving,

Customer Question

grinding noise from transmission while in gear and moving
JA: Have you heard this particular sound before?
Customer: no. just started today. shop says need new tranny and unable and impossible to find parts for rebuild. Really????? Says "they don't make parts for this tranny anymore"
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan? What year is your Nissan?
Customer: 2000 nissan maxima
JA: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no i'm not a mechanic. hence i said that i brought it to a shop
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i find it hard to believe that it is impossible to rebuild this transmission
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I value your input to my questions so I may help you better. The shop you took it to for that estimate, was it a general shop or a transmission specialty shop?Some general shops will tell you that to avoid doing jobs they don't feel comfortable doing. But on the other hand I know first hand dealers have a cut off time the manufacturer stops supplying parts for models depending on their age because they have limited space to hold all years and model parts.I would approach aftermarket people and check with them and a transmission specialist shop as well.Did they tell you exactly what parts were required? If last resort no parts available you can go to Japan auto parts, they usually have a selection of low mileage parts at a reasonable price and is in most cases cheaper to r&r then rebuild http://aadiscountauto.ca/?gclid=CPD8r9bRvNACFQZLDQodMSQAsA

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i took it to a general shop but this is what their "transmission guy" said. i'm pretty sure it is a separate shop that specializes in transmission that they were referring to as it seems most general shops do. but if this is true then why was it so easy for me to find a rebuild kit for my transmission online with a simple search?

Ha , did you read my previous notes then? Some shops shy away from certain jobs they just don't feel comfortable doing them or they just don't want to tie up there space so they can do easier fast money jobs. Obviously if you found parts your self that is the case . I speak from experience of over 45 yrs in the trade , where I have seen this many times. Go to a specialty transmission shop where that is their business and you should see a different response.