Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicle
45790705

The 4 wheel drive light stays on, even when it is in 2

Customer Question

the *****light stays on , even when it is in 2 wheel
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: the *****indicator light thats on the lower left side of dash
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 1997 ram 1500
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am doing it my self, I installed a new indicator switch just now,,just for further info earlier this week I put in a new R-F u-joint in the front axle ,ever since the light has stayed on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: \ not that I can think of
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

HARD WIRED LAMP DIAGNOSIS Each of the lamps found in this depends upon a hard wired circuit input to the instrument cluster for proper operation. The following procedures will help to diagnose conditions that may cause an inoperative hard wired lamp circuit condition. WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, REFER TO AIRBAGS AND SEAT BELTS/AIRBAGS BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE.FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY. Four-wheel drive indicator lamp The diagnosis found here addresses an inoperative four-wheel drive indicator lamp condition. If the problem being diagnosed is related to lamp accuracy, be certain to confirm that the problem is with the lamp or switch and not with a damaged or inoperative front axle disconnect mechanism.If no front axle problem is found, the following procedure will help locate a short or open in the indicator lamp circuit. 1. Check the fused ignition switch output (run/ start) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 2. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse. 2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output (run/start) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 3. If not OK, repair the open fused ignition switch output (run/start) circuit to the ignition switch as required. 3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Disconnect the four-wheel drive switch wire harness connector. Check for continuity between the ground circuit cavity of the four-wheel drive switch wire harness connector and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, repair the open ground circuit to ground as required. 4. Connect the battery negative cable. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Install a jumper wire between the four wheel drive indicator lamp driver circuit cavity of the four-wheel drive switch wire harness connector and a good ground. The four- wheel drive indicator lamp should light. If OK, replace the faulty four-wheel drive switch. If not OK, go to Step 5. 5. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the instrument cluster. With the four-wheel drive switch wire harness connector still disconnected, check for continuity between the four wheel drive indicator lamp driver circuit cavity of the instrument cluster wire harness connector A and a good ground. There should be no continuity. If OK, go to Step 6. If not OK, repair the shorted four wheel drive indicator lamp driver circuit as required. 6. Check for continuity between the four wheel drive indicator lamp driver circuit cavities of the instrument cluster wire harness connector A and the four-wheel drive switch wire harness connector. There should be continuity. If OK, replace the faulty instrument cluster. If not OK, repair the open four wheel drive indicator lamp driver circuit as required.

please run this steps for trouble shoot & you should be able to figure out if it the harness or the cluster ,since you already changed the switch

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician