sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I have a 00 Infiniti I30 with 170,000 miles, CA car. My car

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 00 Infiniti I30 with 170,000 miles, CA car. My car has been bucking inbetween shifts for a long time where the transmission would hang on to gear then move into the next. Poor gas mileage and a catalytic converter code for bank 2.
JA: When did you last clean or replace your air filter? And are the oxygen sensors in good working order?
Customer: Now my transmission wont shift beyond 2nd gear. The engine rpms will go up and down in neutral when I press the gas. I saw that it is a possible TPS problem. There is a video online with the exact problem.
JA: Are you fixing your I30 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: A mechanic looked at it and said I need a new transmission but I don't think that's the problem.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can a bad TPS cause the transmission to not shift properly shift into gear?
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is exactly what the car does in neutral and while driving. It will buck when shifting or hang.Now, the car has stopped shifting beyond 2nd gear.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqmazNkVjOo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's very possible that there is an internal failure in teh transmission if it was slipping or chattering at shift points and now won't shift at all. The trans may just be in limp in due to an electrical issue though. It will take some testing to determine exactly what is going on, which may have been done if a shop has actually looked at the car.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting in the trans controller and then testing can be done from there. Do you know what codes are setting?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I wrote there is a cat converter on bank 2 code that's it. When I disconnect the battery it goes but after driving the car hard it will come back. I think there is a problem with the tps. I get bad gas mileage as well. The car wont shift past 2nd gear.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did u see the youtube video? The guy has the same problem after changing the tps. That's what my car was doing but now stopped sifting passed 2nd

Is the problem actually a lack of engine power?