Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

I have a 2004 s60R with a manual transmission. The issue is

Customer Question

I have a 2004 s60R with a manual transmission. The issue is it will stop moving after driving. Engine will rev up, but won' move. Funny thing is if you stop the engine and restart then you can travel for a 100 feet or so before it acts up, as long as you kill the engine and restart you can keep moving. This is baffling. I could understand the clutch being worn or gears in the tranny being broken. but the stopping and starting the engine doesn't make sense. Help??
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting? What is the model of your '04 Volvo?
Customer: No shifting issues, or clutch issues. S60R
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It is at a shop currently. Mechanic said it needs new tranny. I could understand this, if stopping and restarting the engine didn't allow the car to keep moving.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was just curious if there is any hidden electronics associated with the transmission. My father in law is a vehicle electrical mechanic and he scanned the vehicle and no codes were being thrown.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 10 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can work on this issue with you whenever you are available.
I have a strong feeling that the issue with the car is not mechanical. Not the coupling sleeve, transmission, clutch and associated parts. I know that if there were any mechanical failures then the car would just not move.. period. And none of these issues would be solved, temporarily, by turning the engine off and then restarting it. This leads me to believe that the issue lies somewhere else in the drive train. Either with the transfer case or with the AWD system, and any electrical components in between.

Once it stops moving and it just revs does it try to move barely?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It just revs. Will move again if you turn off the engine and then restart the engine.

I do not believe I can diagnose this issue not in person. I am going to let another try.